Advertising

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge


Life has been slightly difficult lately. I might go into more detail over on the other blog, but here I'll just say that my busyness is so continual that when I get a break (as in the last 2 weeks), it's really hard to get back into the right mindset for my daily duties (getting up at 5am, seminary, planning tomorrow's lesson, work, and using the weekend to catch up on rest--except this weekend that won't happen because I'm going out of town).

However, even with this level of busyness I still manage to make time to read. I'm tearing through books that I've been meaning to read for years (emotional health sure can help the attention span)!


You may have seen the 2015 Reading Challenge that's been making the social media rounds. At first my goal was to repeat books in as many categories as I could, but based on my progress, I'd be done by June. Here's my progress so far:



































































































































































































































































A book with more than 500 pagesDeclareTim Powers
A classic romanceWar & PeaceLeo Tolstoy
A book that became a movieUnbrokenLaura Hillenbrand
A book published this yearThe Buried GiantKazuo Ishiguro
A book with a number in the title1984George Orwell
A book written by someone under 30Hyperbole and a HalfAllie Brosh
A book with nonhuman charactersDogsbodyDiana Wynne Jones
A funny bookHyperbole and a HalfAllie Brosh
A book by a female authorDogsbodyDiana Wynne Jones
A mystery or thrillerThe Daughter of TimeJosephine Tey
A book with a one-word titleGileadMarilynne Robinson
A book of short storiesImpossible ThingsConnie Willis
A book set in a different countryDeclareTim Powers
A nonfiction bookUnbrokenLaura Hillenbrand
A popular author's first bookAncillary JusticeAnn Leckie
A book from an author you love that you haven't read yetImpossible ThingsConnie Willis
A book a friend recommendedAll Creatures Great and SmallJames Herriot
A Pulitzer Prize winning bookGileadMarilynne Robinson
A book based on a true storyAll Creatures Great and SmallJames Herriot
A book at the bottom of your to-read listBlue Moon RisingSimon Green
A book your mom lovesAt Home in MitfordJane Karon
A book that scares youThe RoadCormac McCarthy
A book more than 100 years oldWar & PeaceLeo Tolstoy
A book based entirely on its coverThe Daughter of TimeJosephine Tey
A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't
A memoirHyperbole and a HalfAllie Brosh
A book you can finish in a dayCalamity JackShannon Hale
A book with antonyms in the titleWar & PeaceLeo Tolstoy
A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
A book that came out the year you were bornWitch WeekDiana Wynne Jones
A book with bad reviews
A trilogyGormenghastMervyn Peake
A book from your childhood
A book with a love triangle
A book set in the future1984George Orwell
A book set in high schoolThe Catcher in the Rye
A book with a color in the titleBlue Moon risingSimon Green
A book that made you cryGileadMarilynne Robinson
A book with magicWitch WeekDiana Wynne Jones
A graphic novelCalamity JackShannon Hale
A book by an author you've never read beforeThe Daughter of TimeJosephine Tey
A book you own but have never readDeclareTim Powers
A book that takes place in your hometown

A book that was originally written in a different languageWar & PeaceLeo Tolstoy
A book set during Christmas101 DalmationsDodie Smith
A book written by an author with your same initials Mary Higgins Clark
A playA Man for All SeasonsRobert Bolt
A banned book1984George Orwell
A book based on or turned into a TV showAll Creatures Great and SmallJames Herriot
A book you started but never finishedWar & PeaceLeo Tolstoy

See? I'm already halfway done! The gray lines are books I haven't read yet, but plan to. War and Peace and Gormenghast will be top priority this summer. Now my goal is to complete the list without any book being listed more than twice (War and Peace may be exempt from that--it's worth 3 novels). I didn't know if I'd enjoy this reading challenge at first since I have a hard time reading books that are chosen for me (even book club books), but this is the perfect way to read a diverse set of books, many of which have been gathering dust on my shelf, instead of just sticking with Vorkosigan and Diana Wynne Jones books for the rest of the year (not that a few of those haven't already been squeezed in). Some of the books I probably wouldn't have gotten to for years (All Creatures Great and Small, The Daughter of Time, and especially Gilead) turned out to be absolutely wonderful.

On top of this, I've been reading a lot about Romanticism, the Sublime, film, and theatre design theory for my research, in addition to the scripture study as I plan my seminary lessons. My body may be exhausted, but my brain has been loving these past few months!







from Meta Search Alerts copy http://ift.tt/1IsTxTg





Sourced by "The typist writer". The place where writers, bloggers, and publicists come to expand their knowledge in the field content production and publication.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Book News

« »